Friday, March 21, 2014

How to eat healthy at a business dinner.

Growing up I can remember my dad getting in late because he had business dinners to attend. I always thought that was so cool and told myself one day I wanted to have a job where I could go to business dinners. Well fast forward 20 years (wow that sounds weird) and here I am. Last night after work, I headed to the CHOPHOUSE 47 for dinner and some HP talk.
(sorry these pictures aren't the best because it was VERY dark inside)
 
Eating healthy at restaurants can be very tricky because you never know how everything is cooked. You never know the types of oils and butters might be added to your food. So today I want to share how I eat healthy at business dinners.
 
After we were directed to our table we quickly opened our menus and started ordering appetizers. I of course wanted the shrimp cocktail. The rest of the table ordered crab legs, roasted crab and a huge piece of bacon. Once the appetizers came, I chose shrimp and both types of crab. I used cocktail sauce instead of the creamy sauce because creamy sauces can add a lot of unknown calories to your meal.

 
After we finished, our entrees came and everyone just stared at my plate. This New York Strip was huge. I chose the New York strip because they are a lot leaner than Ribeyes and other cuts. Chophouse serves their sides family style which I like because you can choose the sides and amount of sides you would like. Our table was covered with cheesy mashed potatoes, onion rings, creamy spinach and green beans. The only healthy side that we had were the greens beans. They were cooked in olive oil and almonds. So I just filled my tummy with green beans. Also I am not a huge steak eater so I just ate a very small portion and then put the rest of it in a doggy bag. (the fiance will be in steak heaven)

 
After dinner they brought out the dessert menu . Let's face it, there is no such thing as a healthy dessert in a restaurant so I just took a picture of my co workers dessert. Looks yummy right? Your bathing suit doesn't think so :)

 
After dinner was finished, business talk was over and my tummy was stuffed I headed home and went right to sleep. Business dinners are fun but man they make for a long day.
 

Tips for Eating Healthy When Eating out

  • As a beverage choice, ask for water or order fat-free or low-fat milk, unsweetened tea, or other drinks without added sugars.
  • Ask for whole-wheat bread for sandwiches.
  • In a restaurant, start your meal with a salad packed with veggies, to help control hunger and feel satisfied sooner.
  • Ask for salad dressing to be served on the side. Then use only as much as you want.
  • Veggie kebobsChoose main dishes that include vegetables, such as stir fries, kebobs, or pasta with a tomato sauce.
  • Order steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sautéed.
  • Choose a small" or "medium" portion. This includes main dishes, side dishes, and beverages.
  • Order an item from the menu instead heading for the "all-you-can-eat" buffet.
  • If main portions at a restaurant are larger than you want, try one of these strategies to keep from overeating:
    • Order an appetizer-sized portion or a side dish instead of an entrée.
    • Share a main dish with a friend.
    • If you can chill the extra food right away, take leftovers home in a "doggy bag."
    • When your food is delivered, set aside or pack half of it to go immediately.
    • Resign from the "clean your plate club" - when you've eaten enough, leave the rest.
  • To keep your meal moderate in calories, fat, and sugars:

No comments:

Post a Comment