Friday, March 8, 2013

Skinny VS. Southern

HAPPY FRIDAY!!
 
 Now if you know me at all, you know that I am not very big on southern cooking, yes, I don't eat anything fried, I can't imagine drinking sweet tea, and not a fan of potatoes (I ate way too many as a child) but yet I was born in the mountains of North Carolina.
 
So last night I had promised the bf that he could come over and I would cook him dinner and he said was craving his mommas fried pork chops, cabbage, and corn bread. I first panicked a little thinking, there is no way I can cook like his momma, I have never fried anything in my life and what the heck will I eat. So I first called his mom and got her recipes and then I found a recipe I could make for myself.
 
So I will start with the cabbage
 
First you want to fill a pot with water (fill about 1/3 of the pot) then you want to add your seasonings. His mom uses bacon grease but sorry I will never add bacon grease to anything. So instead I used bouillon seasoning and salt and pepper. Once you have added those to the water you want to bring to a boil 
 
 
 
While the water is beginning to boil cut your cabbage in small pieces.

 
Make sure you stir occasionally stir while heating up

 
Once it is boiling turn down to medium and add you cabbage. Stir occasionally. You want to cook until soft, but not soggy.
 
 
Now this is when I bring out the southern girl in me. I put on my apron and was ready to fry something:)

 
I started by flipping the pork chops in flour (make sure both sides are completely covered)


 
Then I added garlic salt and I am going to fry them using veggie oil (much healthier)

 
Here I go. I was crossing my fingers at this point

 
Looking good so far. You want to cook them till they are light brown and crispy on both sides

 
Now we move to my "skinny" pork chops
 
Pre-heat your oven to 350'
 
Then add 98% fat free chicken broth to your pork chops and only to where it fills the bottom.

 

Put in the oven and cook for about 10 mins or until they are no longer pink
 
 
While they are cooking, saute onions and minced garlic
 
 
Mix low fat sour cream and paprika

 
Once they are no longer pink take them out of the oven and add 3 tablespoons of  mixed sauce and onions/garlic

 
then put back in the oven and cook until the insides are no longer pink.(about 15 minutes, I checked by taking them out of the oven and cutting the side of them)
Remember every oven is different, some take longer and some don't


 Now to the corn bread.
This was the easiest part.
Just go by the directions :)
 

 
The last thing I had to cook/microwave was the weight watchers broccoli and cheese. (Just go by the directions)
 
Once everything is cooking and almost complete, make sure you clean up that way you don't have a mess after you eat and you can sit back a relax.
 

 
Completed!
 
 
You have your "Skinny" plate
 

 
And you have you "Southern" plate

 
Personally I would go with the "Skinny" plate.
 
Hope you enjoy, let me know if you try it out!
 
 
Day 40:

Breakfast: 2 eggs and turkey sausage
Snack: non fat vanilla yogurt
Lunch:leftover "skinny" pork chops and cabbage
Snack:turkey pepperonis
Dinner: the bf and I went and tried a new thai restaurant which was absolutely amazing, might be a new favorite. It was downtown Spartanburg, SC called Green Leaf. I had the chicken, broccoli, onions, and cabbage. extra extra hot. with no rice.



36days

No comments:

Post a Comment