Thursday, May 16, 2013

Skinny Aunt Kay's Squash Caserole

 When I was younger we always had Thanksgiving dinner at my dad's side of the families house in Alabama. I looked forward to this time every year. There is just something about them that is so warm and loving. That and also there was always so much food. I mean literally we would eat the whole time. But my absolute favorite thing that we always had was my Aunt Kay's squash casserole. This casserole would just melt in your mouth. I would have to tell myself to quit eating it because it was that amazing. So after many years she finally gave up all her secrets for this amazing casserole so now my mom can make it. But as you can probably guess it is not in the least bit low fat or low carb. Nothing that good could be healthy. I tried to always tell myself, but wait it has a veggie in it, who was I trying to kid. So I have set out to find a new, healthy recipe to copycat my Aunt Kay's recipe but without adding inches to my hips.
 
GET READY!!
 
What you will need
2 cans of squash
1/2 package of non fat greek yogurt
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese (next time I would use reduced fat cheddar chesse)
1 egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic ( I changed it to fresh garlic after I took the picture)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
sriracha hot sauce (optional)
 
Preheat your oven to 350'
 
Start by mixing all the ingredients together (make sure you drain your squash)

 
then pour in oven safe dish (make sure you spray your dish so that it doesn't stick)

 
Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until you put a knife through the middle and it doesn't stick.
Then add cheese to the top.

 
Let cook for another 20ish minutes or until golden brown on top.
All together mine took about 45 minutes but my oven isn't the best, so just keep an eye on it.

 
Then once it is complete, get ready to be in low fat /low carb heaven. Now I like mine gooey so most people would probably cook theirs longer. You be the judge :)
 
Afterwards I was still in the mood to make some yummy treats. So I made some, On the Go Balls and Skinny Turtles
 
( banana, oatmeal, reduced fat peanut butter and dried cranberries to top)
 
 
(dark chocolate, and oven roasted almonds)

 
 
 
Day 104:
Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs
Snack: 2 On the Go Balls
Lunch:Turkey Sausage and Broccoli Alfredo & Skinny Aunt Kay's Squash Casserole (small portions)
Snack: mixed nuts
Dinner: Thai night woohooo. bring on the spicy chicken with borccoli and cabbage:) of course no rice
 
 
Day 46 no diet mountain dew
 
 
 
15 till ultimate goal. (my birthday is this weekend but starting Monday time to kick it in full gear. I will be starting a clean diet for the last 10 days. This will consist only of fresh veggies, fruit, lean protein, non fat yogurt(for morning smoothies) and eggs.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment