Thursday, June 6, 2013

Spicy Homemade Hummus

I was introduced to hummus this year and the first time I tried it I was like, whoa, how have I missed this. Then I found out that it is healthy? I was in heaven. Buttt it can be rather expensive. It can range from $4 to $7 (for just a little). Now me being the person that I am (cheap), I hate spending money on food. So a lot of the time I will make a homemade version and it ends up being so much cheaper. So that is what I did. All together this cost me about $8 buttt it made enough to last me for weeks.

What you will need
2 can of chickpeas
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
2 1/2 garlic cloves
juice from 1 lemon
2 jalapenos
sriracha hot sauce (of course this is only if you want it really spicy)


 
 
Start by dicing all your veggies
 

 
Then add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. If you only have a blender (like me) add a little bit at a time and blend, it makes it easier on your blender. Once everything is blended well,

 
Pour into container to store in fridge.
Let refrigerate for about an hour or until chilled.


 
Then enjoy your Spicy Homemade Hummus. ( I topped mine with extra hot sauce, of course)

 
Then I cut up some broccoli for some yummy dipping. (great for a snack at work)

 
I then noticed I had some leftover peppers so I chopped them up and made an omelet for breakfast this morning. ( more veggies in my belly the better)

 
 
 
Now to my workout....
 
It is amazing how different my mornings are now that I am getting up earlier to go to the gym. I even ended up getting ready faster this morning and did some house cleaning before I left for work. Yes, you heard me right, house cleaning. So since 6am I have worked out for 45 minutes, showered and gotten ready, vacuumed the living room and hallway, cleaned Motor's bathroom, and straightened up the kitchen. I don't think I have ever finished that much that early, so once again I am pretty proud of myself.
 
I like to say this to myself every morning when I hear that loud alarm clock.
 
Week 1 Workout 3 
My workout today
20 minutes on the treadmill (14 incline - 3.5 mph)
3 times 10 push ups
100 crunches
30 squats
2 times 25 bicycle crunches
30 lunges both legs
2 times 20 side crunches
50 reverse crunches
2 times 20 mason twists
20 scissor kicks
 
Day 114:
Post workout smoothie: handful of spinach 1 1/2 tablespoons of PB, strawberries, almond milk and 3 ice cubes.
Breakfast: 2 eggs with red and green peppers
Snack: broccoli and hummus
Lunch: turkey sausage pasta with spaghetti squash & side salad with skim cheese and balsamic vinaigrette
Snack: mixed nuts
Dinner:
 
63 no diet mountain dew- 17 no soda
 

 


4 comments:

  1. WOW it sounds like you have so much amazing energy!! It must be all that healthy food you are putting in your body- good for you!

    Maddy @ www.BeautyBanterBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does peanut butter make the smoothie taste weird? I have been thinking about adding it into my juices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am pretty obsessed with peanut butter. I think it makes everything tasty. I normally add it to my smoothie every morning. I would try it in your jucies and let me know how it turns out :)
    Have a fabulous weekend!

    xoxoMelissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I will say I have to watch that I don't have more than two tablespoons a day. Which is very hard. :):)

    ReplyDelete